Current:Home > InvestCourt pauses order limiting Biden administration contact with social media companies -WealthRoots Academy
Court pauses order limiting Biden administration contact with social media companies
EchoSense View
Date:2025-04-07 06:37:24
NEW ORLEANS — A federal appeals court Friday temporarily paused a lower court's order limiting executive branch officials' communications with social media companies about controversial online posts.
Biden administration lawyers had asked the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans to stay the preliminary injunction issued on July 4 by U.S. District Judge Terry Doughty. Doughty himself had rejected a request to put his order on hold pending appeal.
Friday's brief 5th Circuit order put Doughty's injunction on hold "until further orders of the court." It called for arguments in the case to be scheduled on an expedited basis.
Filed last year, the lawsuit claimed the administration, in effect, censored free speech by discussing possible regulatory action the government could take while pressuring companies to remove what it deemed misinformation. COVID-19 vaccines, legal issues involving President Joe Biden's son Hunter and election fraud allegations were among the topics spotlighted in the lawsuit.
Doughty, nominated to the federal bench by former President Donald Trump, issued an Independence Day order and accompanying reasons that covered more than 160 pages. He said the plaintiffs were likely to win their ongoing lawsuit. His injunction blocked the Department of Health and Human Services, the FBI and multiple other government agencies and administration officials from "encouraging, pressuring, or inducing in any manner the removal, deletion, suppression, or reduction of content containing protected free speech."
Administration lawyers said the order was overly broad and vague, raising questions about what officials can say in conversations with social media companies or in public statements. They said Doughty's order posed a threat of "grave" public harm by chilling executive branch efforts to combat online misinformation.
Doughty rejected the administration's request for a stay on Monday, writing: "Defendants argue that the injunction should be stayed because it might interfere with the Government's ability to continue working with social-media companies to censor Americans' core political speech on the basis of viewpoint. In other words, the Government seeks a stay of the injunction so that it can continue violating the First Amendment."
In its request that the 5th Circuit issue a stay, administration lawyers said there has been no evidence of threats by the administration. "The district court identified no evidence suggesting that a threat accompanied any request for the removal of content. Indeed, the order denying the stay — presumably highlighting the ostensibly strongest evidence — referred to 'a series of public media statements,'" the administration said.
Friday's "administrative stay" was issued without comment by a panel of three 5th Circuit judges: Carl Stewart, nominated to the court by former President Bill Clinton; James Graves, nominated by former President Barack Obama; and Andrew Oldham, nominated by Trump. A different panel drawn from the court, which has 17 active members, will hear arguments on a longer stay.
veryGood! (13)
Related
- From family road trips to travel woes: Americans are navigating skyrocketing holiday costs
- 2 New York officers and a suspect shot and wounded during a pursuit, officials say
- Fans step in as golfer C.T. Pan goes through four caddies in final round of Canadian Open
- Inside Shiloh's Decision to Remove Brad Pitt's Last Name and Keep Angelina Jolie's
- The White House is cracking down on overdraft fees
- Yuka Saso rallies to win 2024 U.S. Women's Open for second major title
- Shiloh Jolie-Pitt wants to drop dad Brad Pitt's last name per legal request, reports state
- Armed Groups Use Deforestation as a Bargaining Chip in Colombia
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Maldives will ban Israelis from entering the country over the war in Gaza
Ranking
- 'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
- Mega Millions winning numbers for May 31 drawing: Jackpot climbs to $560 million
- BIT TREASURE: Exploring the Potential Impact of Bitcoin Spot ETFs on Cryptocurrency Prices
- Yuka Saso rallies to win 2024 U.S. Women's Open for second major title
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Trump Media stock drops in Friday trading after former president's guilty verdict
- Wall Street's surprise prophet: Technology stocks are expected to rise parabolically, and Nvidia's rise has just begun!
- Teen Mom's Maci Bookout and Leah Messer Share How They Talk to Their Teens About Sex
Recommendation
Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
Charlotte the Stingray Is Not Pregnant, Aquarium Owner Confirms While Sharing Diagnosis
The Supreme Court case that could impact the homeless coast-to-coast
Mass shooting leaves one dead, 24 hurt in Akron, Ohio; police plead for community help
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
Ex-NJ officer sentenced to 27 years in shooting death of driver, wounding of passenger in 2019 chase
Democrats wanted an agreement on using artificial intelligence. It went nowhere
NASCAR at WWTR Gateway 2024: Start time, TV, streaming, lineup for Enjoy Illinois 300